Bernina 117

Bernina 117

Postby Les » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:25 pm

I have a antique Bernina 117 and don't know what needles to buy. It is not the industrial machine and I am wanting to sew predominately cotton. I also need to source the rubber that allows the bobbin to be refilled. Any advice would be appreciated.
Les

Re: Bernina 117

Postby Mickey2 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:50 am

There's not much activity on this forum, but the old 117 takes general domestic needles (15x1, 130, 705). The numbers are for the same type of needle system. I guess you need a good selection of needles, so sharp point from 80 for finer cotton and up to 120 is nice to have (equivalent of #12-#20). 110 and 120 is nice for top stitch thread (larger eye) on heavier denim and canvas. It's important to match thickness of thread and size of needle. I think 117 takes up to size 140, which is one of the advantages with the old cast iron machines. Here's a chart showing metric and imperial size numbers side by side. A good sewing machine shop shoul have the bobbin tire you need, lots of places have them online. Sew Classic specializes in older machines, but most repair shops have parts. Parts can be sourced from ebay, and I'm pretty sure your 117 takes the same type of bobbin tire as several other machines (like Pfaff 130). If you have the original measure the diameter or circumference, remeber they often sort of sag and become just a bit too large when they get older, they go on rather tight when new.
Mickey2

Return to Bernina