Can I use low shank feet on a low shank snap on machine?

Can I use low shank feet on a low shank snap on machine?

Postby Karen00 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I tried searching online and on the forum but couldn't find anything. If there is a post with the answer just point me to that.

I have been given two older Singer machines. One is a 238K (with a box of low shank feet) and a 6217 which uses low shank snap on feet. Unfortunately the feet can't be found for the 6217 machine but I noticed the shank attached to the machine to which the feet are snapped on can be unscrewed and removed so my question is can I remove this "adapter" (for lack of a better word) and use the low shank feet from the 238K? I have been able to find a bunch of posts that talk about converting a low shank machine to a low shank snap on using an adapter but I haven't been able to find anything about going the other way. I wasn't sure if the low shank feet might be different enough (maybe length of the shank) such that they won't work on the snap on machine even though I can screw them on easily enough. I know shank length could cause problems if they don't match the machine. I'm not sure if all low shanks (regardless of being snap on) are the same.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Karen00

Return to Singer