Fabric Storage Ideas

Where to buy, Where to sell, What to do , How to do it. Add your say here

Fabric Storage Ideas

Postby sewmuchfun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:13 pm

I am looking for some fun, clever, good looking ideas for fabric storage. Mine is in bins in the closet, but it is hard to get at and I forget what I have. I really want to spruce up my sewing room without spending a lot of money, while getting the space geared up for some serious production. Any ideas?
sewmuchfun

Re: Fabric Storage Ideas

Postby cambron teupe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 am

I am not the artistic creative person, so I can't recommend anything 'fun' and I am a chaoic mess :P so I want my stash out of sight. I try to sort by function and color. Blues for clothes in one drawer, beiges and greens in another, denim in one, decor material for curtains or costumes in another etc. That way I at least have an idea where to start looking.
Yours, Cambron
cambron teupe

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 am

Ours usually get labeled with fabric type and fiber content, bagged and boxed by type, and the boxes get labeled with what they have in them. Then the boxes can be stacked in my dark loft so the light doesn't damage the cloth. I use flappy-top plastic crates, but we're aiming eventually to go over to crates from The Useful Box people because they do a fantastic range and really tough light proof crates. The cheaper ones can break under the weight of fabric.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby Benish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 am

Well these are all great ideas for the storage if fabrics for a long time i think we need just to follow these things and get benefit by it. Some kinds of fabrics are sensitive and can be damage quickly there for we need to store it safely.
Benish

Postby fiberart7 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 am

My clothing fabric is stored in opaque, tightly sealed containers (like Rubbermaid) so that no light or insects can get at it. I don't have a huge amount of fashion fabric, so it's not really sorted in any order except that the fabric and lining for a project are together. My quilting and craft fabric is sorted by amount (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 yds, etc.) and stored in see-through drawer units...it's also sorted by color - that way, when I'm looking for a fabric for a project, I know which drawer to look in for the amount I need. Hope that helps! Paula
fiberart7

Postby dillyduck » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 am

I'm a great fan of Really Useful Boxes for long term storage. We used them for our business, so as we approached retirement I had some spare ones. Fabric in bulk is heavy, so don't use the largest sizes! I find it best to keep fabric in boxes according to intended use. Skirt, blouse, dress, suits. Every so often I go through my stash of fabric and patterns and wait for inspiration to strike.Living in a rural area where there are no good fabric shops any more, I buy whenever I see something I like in my colours.
dillyduck

Postby ElainaK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm

What about some plastic containers like this? You could even do a size larger for more fabric. I think a few of these stacked in the closet might work.

http://amzn.to/2uJBQly

This would be nice too because you could actually roll the whole cart out of the closet to your sewing area and then roll it back in when finished.

http://amzn.to/2vEYt9S
ElainaK

Postby Polremy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:56 pm

I bought a bed with a lift up base especially to store my stash! Works well so far but found I needed to put a room freshener in there to prevent mustiness taking over, despite wrapping the fabrics and putting them inside plastic storage bags.
Polremy

Return to Fabric