Jersey help please

Where to buy, Where to sell, What to do , How to do it. Add your say here

Jersey help please

Postby thread2go » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi

New to this forum.

I made clothes in the past for my children when you could go down our local market and there would be loads of stalls selling material and you could look and feel and make a decision on what you wanted to buy.

Things have changed and I find the material available isn't what I want. I could go to John Lewis but it would cost a fortune so have been looking on-line. I am familiar with cotton, polycotton, linen, velvet, denim etc. but there seems to be lots of other descriptions of cloth and I don't know that they are. Unfortunately pictures are not the same as seeing it in the flesh.

I do like cloth with a bit of give but the stuff for sale on ebay has words such as `cotton jersey lycra` - Viscose jersey - stretch jersey and I don't know what that means. I don't want something with a sheen so can anyone guide me on what it is that I am looking for.

Thanks very much
thread2go

Re: Jersey help please

Postby Yellow Sunflower » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I think stretch jersey needs extra care when sewing with a machine. It is very soft and stretchy.

I agree with you when you say that fabric is the kind of thing you want to see and be able to touch before you buy it, and with the loss of many fabric shops from our high streets a lot of people have no choice but to look on line.

Do you have a Hobbycraft shop near you? They do have some fabric.

Otherwise if you see a fabric on line that you think you might want to buy, could you ask the seller if they could send you a tiny sample? They must know that people worry about buying goods such as these on line.

Even a very small piece of fabric would give you a sense of colour and quality. You would also be able to see whether it had a surface sheen or not.

If they could help a prospective customer in this way, I think it would encourage people to buy from them with more confidence.

You can explain the situation to them. It is always worth asking. You will see what kind of customer service they are offering as well.
Yellow Sunflower
Yellow Sunflower

Return to Fabric