Baby lock and Brother

Baby lock and Brother

Postby eagle » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Everyone knows I have been looking and asking alot of questions about new machines. I am now wondering what the connection between babylock and brother is. Now before anyone says none please just look at a couple of modles and see the machine with the other name. The nx 450 and the quilters choice model. The project runway innov-is 40 and the Grace A-line (its model # is even bl40A).
eagle

Postby JanS » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:32 am

The Babylock company owns Brother. That took place several years ago. I was not aware of it myself until I bought a Babylock and found out that many of the parts including the bobbins were interchangeable with my much older Brother machine.

I was told by the sewing machine shop that I bought my machine at that Babylock is the parent company but online I find conflicting stories, like Brother is the head and Babylock is jus their top of the line. Of course don't trust anything written on wiki.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Postby eagle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:16 am

Thank you that is very interesting. I hope someone can shine some more light on the subject of who owns who.
eagle

Postby eagle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:39 pm

I was just reading on another forum that brother MAKES baby lock. Which doesnt make any sense since I didn't think they even made their own machines. I am very interested in this. Can't wait until Tuesday to make some calls and see what dealers say and find the price differance just because of two lables.
eagle

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:41 am

I do not think that one company owns the other. Babylock sell domestic sewing machines and domestic overlockers. They started out making and marketing overlockers (sergers) to the domestic market when no-one else thought there was a market for such a machine. They have expanded from there./

Brother are not, as such, a sewing machine manufacturing company. They are a multi-branc electronics manufacturer. They do build INDUSTRIAL sewing machines and overlockers, and embroidery machines. Their domestic machines are bought in and badged. This is not nececassily a bad thing.

There are very few actual factories round the world building domestic sewing machines, and only about 4 building domestic overlockers. Many of the erstwhile Big Names in sewing machines no longer build their own: they buy in machines built to their requirements for a particular price point or specification. You may find that one model of Brother is built in one factory by one company and another built somewhere else... As I understand it, Babylock domestic sewing machines are built and badged in the same way. So you may find that both brands have bought very similar machines from the same manufacturing companies, at a similar price point.

I did find out a while back that Toyota and Husqvarna Huskylock overlockers were built in the same factory. They share no parts. It doesn't mean that Toyota own Husqvarna, it just means that both companies have their machines made for them in the same factory. Same with some of the Bernina and Janome overlockers: doesn't mean that Janome make Bernina overlockers: just that they both have them made in the same factory. And while I'm delighted with the build quality and finish and use of my Bernina (built UP to a standard and build quality specified by Bernina), I'll never own a Janome while they remain light weight and flimsy and built down to a price point.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby eagle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 pm

The local dealer for babylock (200 miles away) was right up front that she felt some models were the same in every way because they were built by the same thrird party. Yet the price was more.
eagle

Postby JanS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:25 am

I was curious so I did some research. Both Brother and Babylock are Japanese companies. Brother was founded in 1908 and just celebrated 100 years in business. Brother started out as an industrial sewing machine manufacturer. That information came from the Brother website. They now have moved into other products like printers. You can see their history here http://www.brother.com/en/corporate/history/index.htm

Babylock was founded in 1954 by some sewing machine design engineers from Juki. They made the first home use sergers. Since then they make embroidery machines, sewing machines for high end use and sergers.

I have still not found out any information on a merger or whom owns whom.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:10 pm

eagle wrote:The local dealer for babylock (200 miles away) was right up front that she felt some models were the same in every way because they were built by the same third party. Yet the price was more.

As with all sorts of things, sometimes you pay more for the brand name...

Brother domestic machines have always been targeted at a lower price point than some of the other more famous brands. In the days of the old cast iron mechanical machines this usually meant that you got an almost exactly the same type 15 machine as you could from Singer for about two thirds of the price.

Brother had a reputation for cramming all sorts of nice-sounding gadgetry into their later machines, which sounded good on paper but didn't stand up to the test of time. If the entry-level machine I'm testing now is anything to go by, things are greatly improved since then. I'm certainly in love with my Brother serger.

Their industrial machines have always had a good reputation.
Kate Dicey
Kate XXXXXX

Postby eagle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 pm

What is the entry level machine you are testing now?
eagle

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Innovis 10 A. This one:

I shall have a full report going back to Alan Bamber soon. When he has it and has it up on the web site, I'll post a link.
Kate Dicey
Kate XXXXXX

Baby Lock and Brother

Postby CraftinSusan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi! :D

I read the posts asking about the relationship between the two companies.

Baby Lock is owned by Tacony who also owns Elna and Simplicity.
Brother is an independent company. Now for the industrial line of machines Tacony does import to Brother as well as other companies but Tacony does not own Brother. For the Home Sewing line of machines, Baby Lock and Brother got together and shared development costs. That is why Baby Lock and some Brother machines look similar. The mechanical parts are sometimes even interchangable but not so for the computer parts and the software on the machines. That is why updates and upgrades for a Brother machine can never be used on a Baby Lock machine and visa versa.

Usually we can find a comparable Brother machine to every Baby Lock machine but not visa versa. Brother has a lot of models where there are no comparable Baby Lock machine.
CraftinSusan

Re: Baby lock and Brother

Postby Moss Limbayter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Baby Lock does not own Brother nor does Baby Lock manufacture any Brother products whatsoever; in fact Baby Lock does not manufacture sewing machines at all. Neither does Brother own Baby Lock; however, Brother does manufacture the Baby Lock sewing machines.

The Baby Lock brand is owned by Tacony Corporation in Fenton, Missouri. Tacony Corporation does not manufacture sewing machines; Tacony buys almost all of their sewing machines (not sergers) from Brother and Brother changes the appearance, model numbers, and model names to Baby Lock. While both Brother and Baby Lock machines are absolutely identical internally, the software installed on the computerized machines is different. For example: Disney embroideries are loaded on the Brother while Brother loads different designs on the machines with the Baby Lock label. This is the same with many other brands such as Kenmore; Janome makes machines for Sears, changes the appearance slightly, and puts the Kenmore brand name on them.
Moss Limbayter

Postby happysewer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 pm

My husband is certified to repair both Babylock and Brother and I know, without a doubt, that there IS a big difference in the inside between the Babylock and the Brother! The most obvious is that Brother does not sand down the casings inside. It is still rough as it was when it came out of the mold. That shows little attention to detail in the manufacturing process, plus the fact that threads or wires can get affected by those rough edges. I am sure that is one reason why Brother can afford to sell their machines at a lesser price. Also, Babylock, being an American company that focuses on quality sewing/serger machines, has stricter quality standards than Brother, which is why the manufacturing engineer must sign off on all Babylock products before they are released to the public and Babylock electronic components will not work in the Brother machines, and vice versa. Last, the culture between the two companies are drastically different. I've talked to dealers of both companies who tell me that are frustrated with Brother because, when you call, you can't get a human to talk to you. However, Babylock has a very strong customer support system. Often, issues with machines are resolved first through Babylock. Solution are explained to the Babylock dealers, who eventually may inform the Brother dealer, or they may be the very same dealer. Regardless, the Brother dealer did not get the resolution resolved through their Brother parent company. It is because of this strong Amerian culture Tacony has, that when I buy a machine, I buy Babylock.
happysewer

Postby Moss Limbayter » Wed May 10, 2017 4:35 am

"Postby happysewer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 pm My husband is certified to repair both Babylock and Brother and I know, without a doubt, that there IS a big difference in the inside between the Babylock and the Brother! The most obvious is that Brother does not sand down the casings inside."

Absolute hogwash. I've been a repair tech since 1972 and owner of a retail store since 1984. I currently own 3 Brother stores / repair centers. There is ZERO difference in the parts of Brother and Baby Lock. in fact every part number is identical. Your husband would know that if he was a sewing machine tech so we know he isn't.
Moss Limbayter

Return to Babylock