IS A DRESSFORM NECESSARY?

Do you have an idea or a tip for other sewers. Leave you message Here

IS A DRESSFORM NECESSARY?

Postby Alouise Conway » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 pm

I occasionally make jackets, vests and dresses...

I would like to know if a dressform will be worth the 2-3 hundred dollar cost? Is there a big advantage to having one? So far I have managed to fit the clothes I am making by trying them on and making adjustments as I go. Would a dressform improve on this? If I decide to get one, are there certain features I should be looking for in a dressform?
Alouise Conway

Postby cambron teupe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:47 am

I have been using one for around 2 years and really like it -- I don't have to undress every time I need to adjust the pattern, try out the fit etc. The main thing is to get one with lots of adjustments in height and width. Do you really have to spend that much? I got mine (in Germany) for around 150$.
Love, Cambron
cambron teupe

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

I couldn't live without my family of dress forms! I have several...

Man
Child
Two medium ladies
One large Lady
One Grande Dame!

I need the teen form, the leg form for trousers, and a small lady to complete the set... But I do sew professionally!

Now, a form is fantastic for lots of things, but is NEVER a substitute for proper fitting. NO-ONE is dress form shaped!

I love the 8 part Adjustoform ones and four of my 'family' are from this company, ranging back over 27 years! I bought my original one to help make my wedding dress, and hubby and I recently refurbished her.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby JanS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:53 am

You can find dress forms at much less than the 200-300 dollar range you mentioned. Here is a page full of dress forms under $160 and some less than $100.

dress forms
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Return to Helpful Information