Do you have an idea or a tip for other sewers. Leave you message Here

Postby Alouise Conway » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 pm

I occasionally make jackets, vests and dresses...

I would like to know if a dressform will be worth the 2-3 hundred dollar cost? Is there a big advantage to having one? So far I have managed to fit the clothes I am making by trying them on and making adjustments as I go. Would a dressform improve on this? If I decide to get one, are there certain features I should be looking for in a dressform?
Alouise Conway

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

I couldn't live without my family of dress forms! I have several...

Two medium ladies
One large Lady
One Grande Dame!

I need the teen form, the leg form for trousers, and a small lady to complete the set... But I do sew professionally!

Now, a form is fantastic for lots of things, but is NEVER a substitute for proper fitting. NO-ONE is dress form shaped!

I love the 8 part Adjustoform ones and four of my 'family' are from this company, ranging back over 27 years! I bought my original one to help make my wedding dress, and hubby and I recently refurbished her.
Kate Dicey
Costumiers to the Discerning

Postby JanS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:53 am

You can find dress forms at much less than the 200-300 dollar range you mentioned. Here is a page full of dress forms under $160 and some less than $100.

dress forms
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board

Return to Helpful Information