need sum help

Do you have an idea or a tip for other sewers. Leave you message Here

need sum help

Postby sewingbug » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:09 pm

i completed a tailors course where we were taught how to make patterns, fittings, gradings etc and although i passed and all, i still very much feel inadequate and in confident about undertaking a project becuase lots of projects i have tried seem to be a flop. i try to manually grade, and thats doesn't turn out so well...i tried making a dress for my sister, which didn't turn out as good as i wanted. i thought i was able to sew, but it turns out i cant...

anyone else feel this way? is it normal to feel like this even though you should be a pro?
sewingbug

Don't be discourage

Postby patriciaschoeman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:24 am

There is hope, because you have the desire to succeed. I would love to help you with your sewing projects, sometimes you just need some guidance
I do have so great fitting tips and techniques that is easy to use.

Take care
Patricia Schoeman
Do you struggle with fitting a pattern? Please watch my fitting videos - or send me an email - I would love to help you - it's easy to fit a pattern.
Thanks
Patricia Schoeman
Your “Perfect Sew And Fitting buddy”
patriciaschoeman

Postby JanS » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:56 am

Your problem might not be sewing but what you have chosen to sew. You mentioned that you took a tailoring class, did you like tailoring? If you did not have your heart into tailoring then you will set yourself up to fail. What DO you like about sewing? If it is being creative then designing quilts or costumes might be more your style. Do you like making something more unusual like clutch purses or dog coats?

Take a look at yourself and find out what you really want to do with your sewing experience. Most of all experiment and don't give up. Play with sewing and enjoy it.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Re: Don't be discourage

Postby sewingbug » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56 am

patriciaschoeman wrote:There is hope, because you have the desire to succeed. I would love to help you with your sewing projects, sometimes you just need some guidance
I do have so great fitting tips and techniques that is easy to use.

Take care
Patricia Schoeman

thank you. do you have a website or blog you could refer me to?

JanS, thank you also...at the moment, i am experimenting but i also want to open a home-based business expect im really confused as to how to go about it. due to my inexperience, no prior work experience in such a field, i do NOT want to take orders, but instead want to just make the products/garments are sell them maybe online, etc.

i was thinking children clothing, someone also suggested to me woolen jackets/coats and home-wares (aprons, place-mats, etc). so i just dont want to focus on one area i want to be a little broader then that, or is that a bad idea? as i said im dead confused as to how to go about it as there is SO much to consider such as how many designs to put on the market, what age group to target, as well as grading/sizing for each design, etc. so you can imagine, its a little overwhelming. so how do i go about this, and where do i start from?
sewingbug

Re: Don't be discourage

Postby JanS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:55 am

sewingbug wrote:JanS, thank you also...at the moment, i am experimenting but i also want to open a home-based business expect im really confused as to how to go about it. due to my inexperience, no prior work experience in such a field, i do NOT want to take orders, but instead want to just make the products/garments are sell them maybe online, etc.

i was thinking children clothing, someone also suggested to me woolen jackets/coats and home-wares (aprons, place-mats, etc). so i just dont want to focus on one area i want to be a little broader then that, or is that a bad idea? as i said im dead confused as to how to go about it as there is SO much to consider such as how many designs to put on the market, what age group to target, as well as grading/sizing for each design, etc. so you can imagine, its a little overwhelming. so how do i go about this, and where do i start from?

I started out making items and selling them on eBay, so you are on the right track. As to the children's clothing, if you live in the USA there are very strict regulations that came into effect within the last 2 years. All children's clothing sold in the USA must be certified and tested. I don't make children's items so I know very little about the regulations but maybe someone here can chime in with a link or some more facts.

If you need some guidance on how to go about selling online just visit my blog at the link in my signature and read. You find out how I sell my sewn items and how to market them online too. You can even sign up for my monthly newsletter which is usually full of helpful links to projects and how-to information on where sell your items both online and off.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Return to Helpful Information