Holes in my Kenmore

If your machine is not in the list above. Please post here

Holes in my Kenmore

Postby CindysTimetoSew » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 pm

I picked up an older kenmore sewing machine at a yardsale recently. It has 5-6 holes in the back of it with little plastic caps in the holes. Does anyone know whats up with this?
CindysTimetoSew

Re: Holes in my Kenmore

Postby lamx » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:42 am

Without seeing the machine, my guess is that the caps cover access holes where a technician would need to insert a screwdriver to make adjustments or to replace broken parts.

Ed
lamx

Postby CindysTimetoSew » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks, That was my first thought too, I've just never seen one with holes in the back. I'm trying to teach myself sewing machine repair so i bought this one at a yard sale.

I've got another issue with it too. When I put it in zigzag mode, the needle moves over to the right, the starting position, but it doesn't zigzag. It just sews a straight stitch. I can see the mechanism that would make it go side to side to make the zigzag but I can't see anything visably wrong with it. Not sure what to look for. I have sewing machine repair manual but i couldn't find anything in it pertaining to zigzag.
CindysTimetoSew

Postby CindysTimetoSew » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:16 pm

I figured it out! The zigzag worked all along, I just misunderstood what the numbers on the knob were. For anyone else who may come across a machine like this. The top knob has an "S" for satin stitch and the numbers 1-5. They are for the width. The bottom knob has 8, 12, 24 and the letter B. These are for the stitch length. The B is a basting stitch. Still gotta do a little tweaking to get the zigzag stitch right.

Thanks for the advice.
CindysTimetoSew

Return to All Other Machines