Problems with John Lewis Mini Sewing Machine

Has your machine gone wrong?. Are you looking for advice on using your machine? or looking to make a new project?. Click on forums below which relate to your sewing machine.

Problems with John Lewis Mini Sewing Machine

Postby beckyboo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Hello!
I have the John Lewis Mini Sewing Machine and its been acting up all the time! It was fine when I bought it and I didn't use it much because of exams etc, but soon after a year its gone weird.
Here are the problems I've been having;
-Difficulty drawing up bobbin thread, seems to get caught?
-Loud bashing noises when sewing
-Bobbin thread tangling up and knotting
-Bobbin thread not sewing onto fabric
-Needle thread doesn't feel smoothly, you sometimes have to tug at it if you want to wind some up again onto the spool
-Machine will often eat the fabric
-Machine will often stop sewing, the thread becomes really taut

What I've tried to do about it already;
-I've replaced the needle
-Replaced the bobbin
-Replaced the thread with new store bought one (both needle and bobbin)
-Checked the bobbin holder for any debris and used a brush to sweep anything there away
^ All done by religiously following the machines instructions booklet

I'm from the UK, I know USA doesn't have any John Lewis stores but many £50 ish machine seem quite similar. Heres a link to the webpage where I bought it http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-mini-sewing-machine/p2289767 I've also attached an image of it.
I hope someone can help me I really want to start to become good at sewing!
Thank you :)
Attachments
1.jpg
John Lewis Mini Sewing Machine
1.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
beckyboo

Re: Problems with John Lewis Mini Sewing Machine

Postby beckyboo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately the guarantee has expired :(
I'm a student so I am very reluctant to buy a new one and I expect repairs are expensive, does it really sound as though it's not going to be redeemable?
beckyboo

Postby Keith » Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 am

1. That machine most likely has a plastic support frame instead of a metal one. It may have twisted slightly. Check to see if the needle goes into the hole in the needleplate at the center. If it doesn't, try twisting the machine until it does. (Raise the needle before twisting)
2. Does the needleplate have burrs at the opening where the needle goes? Find someone with emery paper and polish that off.
3. Raise the presser foot when you wind thread back onto the spool. The tensioner is working against you.
Keith

Postby beckyboo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Is this what you mean? I've added a video of what I think is the cause of the problem. I'm still quite new to sewing machines. I believe it's definitely something to do with the bobbin compartment(s).
Here's the link to my video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIciOu4z0I
Again thank you for your help! :D
beckyboo

Postby ElainaK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Becky,

Unfortunately, while they look really cute, some of the mini sewing machines on the market today are not that great as far as performance goes. What another user posted about the frame, sounds like it is possibly bent slightly. Since they are hard plastic they don't ware as well. It may have been defective from the beginning, unfortunately. Who knows how it was handled in the logistics of getting it from creation to store shelf to you.

Here is a site that recommends machines for kids and beginners. I know you said you are a student, but maybe when you are able you could get a new very basic machine that is for beginners, but isn't a mini. Good luck.

https://www.bestkidssewingmachine.com

Elaina
ElainaK

Return to Sewing machine problems