Duvet cover project

Need help? looking for advise? Any Sewing machine related problems, Lost manuals, Pattern advise ask here.

Duvet cover project

Postby SilverSews » Tue May 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a sort of unique project. I have a day bed (basically a twin sized mattress), it's currently covered with a thick duvet cover. However, the duvet cover shifts around when people sit on it, so I want to sew the cover into an actual case for the day bed.

The cover folds over the mattress with plenty to spare, so I'm thinking of adding a zipper the the long side. However, I'm stumped about how to close up the short sides. There's extra duvet cover on both sides (there's a pattern I'll be centering), so an equal amount will need to be removed from each end. I need to figure out how to sew up the short ends so that I end up with a piece that can be sealed with a zipper on the long side. The duvet cover is pretty thick, so I think I'll need to remove the batting on the short sides in order to be able to sew them up.

Does my description make sense? Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I've tried researching and haven't had any luck finding examples of this sort of project.

Many thanks!

- Evan
SilverSews

Re: Duvet cover project

Postby cambron teupe » Wed May 17, 2017 5:06 am

Hmmm, I think I would use bias binding on the sides. But wouldn't it be easier to put the zipper on one of the short sides?
cambron teupe

Re: Duvet cover project

Postby SilverSews » Wed May 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how the bias binding would solve the side closure issue. I don't know much about bias binding. I'll do some research on it. We want to zipper the long side, so it's easier to get the day bed in and out, for washing, etc.
SilverSews

Return to Sewing