how would I enlarge sleeve holes on a pattern?

Need help? looking for advise? Any Sewing machine related problems, Lost manuals, Pattern advise ask here.

how would I enlarge sleeve holes on a pattern?

Postby wendallsan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I took some sewing classes in college 15 years ago now, have recently been given a good working sewing machine, and am now trying to pick back up and sew again for my wife. I've had some good success so far with a skirt I made for her, and moved on to a chinese-style dress (Simplicity pattern 4190). Since I'm pretty rusty at sewing after a 15 year hiatus (and was never that great at it to begin with), I've been building garments using cheap broad cloth 1st, that way I can make (hopefully) all my mistakes there instead of on nicer fabric. I built a 'test' dress for my wife using broadcloth, and everything looks and fits good except that the sleeves are too narrow at the shoulders, so the sleeve holes are really tight in her armpits and she can't raise her arms above her shoulders due to this tightness.

I've never altered a pattern before, but it looks like I'll need to do that to get sleeves that properly fit. The sleeve pattern itself is very simple and I'm not worried at all about figuring out how to enlarge that, but the arm hole on the dress body . . . well, let's just say I don't know where to start with that one. Can anyone explain to me how to enlarge a sleeve hole like this? Any help is greatly appreciated, please just ask if you need any extra info from me or anything. Thanks again for any help!
wendallsan

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 pm

It sounds like it's the sleeves that are too tight rather than the armscye (the holes the sleeves fit into).
also, if the dress is pulling round the top of the sleeve head, over the bicep, then you need a bigger sleeve...

Is it possible for you to post pix would need to see a full front, a full back, and a side view of each sleeve. A close-up of the shoulder and neck front and back would also help.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Return to Sewing