Making cute boutique style dresses, HELP!

Have you say about your crafts/Hobbies in here. Anything you may find useful, however small, Your interests, Links.

Making cute boutique style dresses, HELP!

Postby missblonde » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm a beginner at this whole sewing thing. I've always been intrigued by fashion and I hope to eventually be able to make cute, boutique-style dresses/tops. But I have NO idea where to start! I know I need to become familiar with the sewing machine. And I do have a general knowledge as to how to use it... but where do I get somewhat one-of-a-kind material?? And where do I get good patterns? Someone please inform me of what it takes to begin this journey!

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 pm

You will need:

A decent sewing machine. Pre-loved will be fine. Read my essay on buying a sewing machine: ... oosing.htm

Some good equipment: needles, pins scissors, tape measure, etc... Look at my list of kit: ... gequip.htm

A good general sewing manual that covers the basics thoroughly: look up sewing on Amazon and pick a few you like the look of. get back to us for comments about them.

A couple of cheap patterns you like from the simpler end of the market. Buy according to your measurements rather than you RTW dress size. ... ements.htm

Some cheap fabric. Old bed sheets from the thrift store/charity shop work well for this.

Trace your patterns off, use the instructions in the book for basic pattern alterations, and have a play! I'd also advise slitting some fabric into strips and practicing seams and stuff. Go through the sewing machine used guide and do every process it contains. You'll learn a lot about the machine, and about what you find difficult...
Kate Dicey
Costumiers to the Discerning

Return to Crafts/Hobbies