New Sew Dog Bed

Have you say about your crafts/Hobbies in here. Anything you may find useful, however small, Your interests, Links.

New Sew Dog Bed

Postby akanuchok » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here. I'm a stay at home mom with two boys 4 and 2 and two smooth coated collies. One is ours the other a foster.

I was hoping to make a no sew blanket and then stuff it with ??? to make a bed for the dogs. I know the no sew blankets use fleece but I was wondering if any other fabrics would work, maybe jersey? What are other no fray materials that might work? In the end I want a cheaper dog bed since I have two big dogs and big dog beds are pretty expensive. I don't have a good place to set up my sewing machine and I'm sure the boys would be a biiiiigggg help hence the no sew idea.

Thanks for your time,

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:40 am

Really, the only way to make the thing stuffable is to sew it. How else would you seal the edges to keep the stuffing in?

I used to sew when my son was that age. I had a baby gate in the doorway so he could see me but be safe from pins and stuff.
Kate Dicey
Costumiers to the Discerning

Postby akanuchok » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:17 pm

I was actually going to stuff it with either two body pillows or a twin or full sized egg crate for the top of a bed. So there wouldn't be any stuffing to fall out. I'm more interested in finding out if there is another material that doesn't fray that would work as well as fleece.

Re: New Sew Dog Bed

Postby MillyLamp » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 am

I'm not sure what good for dogs. but there is Plush felt fabric and Ultra cuddle. You could also use Terry cloth. Its pretty much the same as towels or robes. (or maybe not, i'd look it up to be sure.) but i know my dog use to like laying on my pile of clean towels. I'm also told if you wash Terry cloth fabric it gets softer. Don't know how true that is.

Also if you don't like sewing you could use a heat bond. all you really need is reading skills and your trusy iron. and also the heat bond product. :mrgreen:

Postby double barrel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:42 pm

personally i would stay with a canvas material. your smooth coated scotch collies shed alot more than my border collies (cuz they are bigger :wink: ) and I know how much my BC's shed!

the canvas will wear well and was easy.

can you put your machine in a room that you can close the door when they are running around, then be able to go sew there after they are sleeping?
double barrel

Postby JanS » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:03 am

For dog beds I just recycle an old quilt. All of the "stuffed" dog beds I have ever made or bought got the stuffing chewed out of them by my dogs. The old quilts on the other hand never got damaged. The dogs tend to wrap themselves up in them. When making something for any animal you have to keep in mind how the animal will treat it. Dogs love to chew and cats love to scratch.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board

Return to Crafts/Hobbies