Feed Dogs Won't Raise on Kenmore

If your machine is not in the list above. Please post here

Feed Dogs Won't Raise on Kenmore

Postby Trudy Callan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:52 am

I have a Kenmore Model No. 385.16524000. I purchased this machine around 8 or 9 years ago. The feed dogs were fine up and until this morning. I've been sewing on this machine for several years, and all of a sudden the feed dogs are too low. I did not attempt to lower them. I was just sewing. Took a break, came back, and the fabric wouldn't feed through the machine. I've tried raising them according to my instruction's manual to no avail. My husband doesn't know anything about working on sewing machines, but he opened it up and took a look. He is attempting to adjust the height of my feed dogs. The feed dogs are too low. He believes that he has found an adjustment screw and nut. He thinks he may need a special "Phillips Head like" tool of the proper size and a tool to adjust small nuts in tight places. A) Do you think my husband is going in the right direction? B) If so, where can he get proper tools for working on sewing machines?Do you have any idea what could have happened to have caused this and what we can do to fix it?
Trudy Callan

Postby Sew-Classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Once you move the lever as per the manual to raise the feed dogs, you have to turn the handwheel a couple of revolutions before the dogs will pop back up into the correct position.
Sew-Classic

It didn't work

Postby Trudy Callan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 pm

I moved the lever to raise the feed dogs, and I turned the wheel a few revolutions toward me and it didn't raise the feed dogs. Do you know what the problem could be and if that is something we can fix?
Trudy Callan

Postby Sew-Classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm

I would probabl;y take out the needle and just run the machine for a few minutes to see itf it works itself up.

Since I can see the problem, I can't tell exactly where it might be.
Sew-Classic

Postby Trudy Callan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 pm

I'll try that. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Trudy Callan

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 pm

When is the last time you cleaned and oiled the machine?
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby jtsd1965 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 am

if you have a darning button on your machine could you have my mistake hit this button, the darning lowers your feeddogs on some machine, just a thought.
jtsd1965

Return to All Other Machines