Brother Galaxie 8005 Threading Issues

Brother Galaxie 8005 Threading Issues

Postby Tasana Studios » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:38 am

Hello; First post.
I have been hand sewing since my grandma taught me. (Yes I am a guy)
Anyway my grandmother also taught me how to create clothing when a need arises.
I have been married for 22 years to a wonderful woman and two years ago I started to design a bra support for her. I got it designed and hand sewed it but the stitching needed to be stronger. So a friend gave me a Brother Galaxie 8005. The machine runs great but I seem to be having some threading issues. I do not have the manual and I am working from memories of using a machine from 35 years ago. I am 43. Well I posted the thread photos here.
http://s933.photobucket.com/albums/ad17 ... 20Brother/
I made the thread line red in Corel Paint Shop Pro so it would show up. The problem I am having is that after it is threaded and I start my test pattern it back threads. The tread pulls back out of the whole path and the end of the thread is all bunched upon itself, like it was pushed back.
I should have taken a photo of the thread.
I hope this is enough information.
If more is needed please let me know.
Greg
Tasana Studios

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 am

Check that the thread follows the thread path correctly: Spool, thread guide, tension, down pointing hook, take-up lever, lower thread guides, needle (front to back).

Make sure the bobbin thread is neatly wound and the bobbin is in the case the right way round. Make sure the bobbin thread is under the leaf spring on the bobbin case.

Make sure you have about 12" of thread out the back of the needle once you have drawn the thread up through the needle plate. Trap the threads under the presser foot when you start to sew. Also make sure that the take-up lever is at the top of it's slot when you start.

Oh, and the tension dial seems to set on zero: you need to set it to the middle of the range and then adjust slightly from there to suit your thread/fabric/stitch combination.

And when did you last change the needle? A damaged needle can cause this fraying thread symptom.

Yes, a pic of the thread when and where the problem happens might help.

(Like your background pic!)
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby Tasana Studios » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks. I do have the tread running that path. The tension wheel was set at 0 in an attempt to see if that was the problem. I had it at 4. As for the needle I could not tell you when it was replaced. A friend gave this to me because she never used it. She has the manual but once something goes in her house...well you have a better chance of getting out of a black hole. I will try to pull the thread to the 12" mark as suggested. If it eats the thread again I will take a photo and post it.

Many thanks.

(I am a long time Star Trek fan)
Gregory D. Watts (Married)
Tasana Studios

sewing machine

Postby Denim » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm

My Dh sews also, he's into quilting more than clothes making right now,
he like the electronic sewing machine better than the manual one.
if the sewing machine has been setting for awhile, it might need cleaning
& oiling.
Denim

Postby Tasana Studios » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm

That is so logical it is crazy. You know you are probably 100% correct. It sat for 2 years untouched. Here I am looking for the most difficult think and it may turn out to be this simple.

Thanks I will differently look into this.
Gregory D. Watts (Married)
Tasana Studios

sewing machine

Postby Denim » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 pm

my husband & I have 2 sewing machines, depending on how much they are used, we usually service every three months.(we have been servicing sewing machines for over 20+years)
I won't say that will solve your sewing machine problem, but it will help the machine to work better.
the needle should definitely be changed
here's a tip you might find helpful
when choosing a needle & thread
cut a 6-8 inch piece of the thread that you are going to use for your project
take the needle from the sewing machine or from the package
& insert the thread thru the eye of the needle & lift one end of the thread
up to a 45 degree angle & if it's the right size needle for the thread, the needle will slide down easily, if it hangs up you need one size larger
Denim

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:35 am

When cleaning the machine, check the manual carefully for oiling points. If oiling is not mentioned in the manual, don't oil it!

Clean carefully, especially round the feed dogs and the tension disks. I 'floss' between the disks with a microfiber lens cloth - NOT one of those impregnated with lens cleaner! Just a nekkid cloth. Even a small build-up of lint can cause havoc with tension.

Also check that there is no lint build-up under the leaf spring on the bobbin case. If there is, you may have to take that spring off... Do it over a tray with a cloth on it! You do NOT want to lose that tiny screw! You'll need a jeweler's screwdriver in the right size. When you put it back, test the tension: thread it up with a bobbin... Hold it up by the thread. Shake it once, sharply... If it drops easily down the thread, tighten the screw and try again. It should drop about 4" or so. if it doesn't move, loosen it off a tad.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Return to Brother